Sponsors of the Richland Area High School Student Art Exhibit proudly introduce artistically talented young artists to the Greater Richland Community through an exhibition experience celebrating the students’ outstanding creative achievement.
The High School Art Exhibit, held each spring semester, is a cooperative effort between the Richland Area Arts Council (RAAC), Wisconsin Regional Arts Association (WRAA) and UW-Richland art department. The event showcases the work of young artists from around fifteen southwest Wisconsin high schools. The show will be on the UW-Richland campus from April 16 thru 30. The Closing Awards Celebration will be on Saturday April 30.
Art teachers from each school send one artwork from 2-4 students. On the last day of the exhibit six best of show winners are announced and sent to the Fall WRAA workshop in Madison.
Goals of the event:
- UW-Richland welcomes high school art students to the campus.
- High school students participate in an exhibition experience which simulates professional art shows.
- Art teachers curate the exhibit by selecting the most creative and well executed pieces, eliminating the need for further jurying.
- Students represent approximately 15 communities from three nearby Wisconsin counties.
- For two weeks, friends and relatives, the UW-Richland community, as well as the greater Richland community, have the opportunity to view the students’ work and write a note of encouragement to the young person.
- UW-Richland art students demonstrate their support of the younger artists by assisting in hanging and maintaining the exhibit.
- All participating teens receive a certificate award because each entry has been identified by their teachers as one of the best of the current school year.
- The UW-Richland art instructor will judge the show, awarding trophies to six top artists, while explaining to students the criteria for identifying excellence in Art.
- UW-Richland and the Richland Area Arts Council host a Closing Celebration Luncheon for the student participants and their immediate fmilies and teachers.
- The Red Door Gallery will invite winning artists to display their art in the gallery for two weeks after the show.
Information will be provided and shared so that the celebration of the students’ artistic success can be celebrated in their homes, local communities and schools.